A Transformed Church: Praying
Posted on Sep 28, 2017 in Faith Updates
Last Sunday I unpacked for us the work of our church’s Prayer Task Force: to lead people into a life of prayer in Jesus’ name through teaching, example, and experiences. If you weren’t able to join us last week, I encourage you to listen to the message here.
I truly believe our joy in our life with Christ, and our ability to make disciples of Jesus cannot be separated from the simple act of conversing with the living God individually and corporately. So over this next year we will grow deeper in intimacy with our very knowable God. How?
The first thing we will do is commit to teaching on prayer.
- Early in the winter of 2018 I will guide us through a sermon series equipping us more deeply as a congregation in prayer.
- We have also committed to 2-3 workshops focusing on teaching on prayer. The first is happening this coming Saturday, September 30, and will be taught by Kim Gustafson. Kim has been sharing the good news with Muslims for decades and is a powerful messenger for Christ. See the announcement below on how you can join us Saturday
The second thing we will do is grow in prayer through example. People need to see us in prayer.
- One of the things we’re trying to do in our worship services is create more space for prayer. Our communion Sundays, for example, will have space for people to come forward, be anointed with oil, and receive prayer. And as we saw last week, we will continue to create opportunities for people actively participate/stand/come forward for prayer.
- One of the things I hope you’ve notice these past 3 weeks is my listing the corporate prayer needs of our church on The City.
- And finally, we are calling all leaders at Faith to be sure to prioritize prayer in all classes, small groups, and meetings.
Thirdly, we are seeking to grow prayer experiences for our whole church community.
- Two recent examples were the healing prayer service we participated in on Sunday, September 3, and the prayer and worship service on Wednesday, September 20th. I am committed to creating more of these opportunities over the next year.
- And mark your calendars for a Prayer Retreat we have scheduled for April 20-22, 2018. This will be an opportunity for all participants to get away for a whole weekend to experience a deeper intimacy with our living God.
Prayer is always the first best step in our life as Jesus’ disciples. Please know Jill and I are praying for you. We delight in your prayers for us and for our church.
On my knees!
Here’s What’s Happening at Faith
Prayer Workshop – Does God Really Hear Me?
How do I talk to God? What happens when I do? Do you thirst for conversation with God, longing to hear from Him? If you’d like to deepen your intimacy with God and learn how to position yourself to hear from Him, join us for a FREE one-day prayer workshop with Kim Gustafson. Saturday, September 30, 9am-3pm. Lunch is included. Please RSVP HERE.
Faith City Tip: Notifications
Welcome to all the new Faith members who have joined The City recently! You will now see all the church wide news and events that are posted here, and can request to join any of the specialty groups that are available (like Women’s Ministry, Men’s ministry etc.). Remember to go to your profile and choose what level of notifications you want for each group – most choose to have a “Daily Digest” sent to them so they only get one email per day when things are posted. Lastly, if anyone, new user or existing user, would like assistance navigating The City, please come to a class offered Sunday, October 15 at 9am, or contact Lynn or Jen in the office. If you haven’t joined The City yet, send us an email request and we will get you signed up!
Pastor Appreciation Month Opportunity
Because October is Pastor Appreciation month, there will be a special card box located in the lobby should you desire to express your appreciation to our pastors and directors by leaving them a note. You are encouraged to share a story about how your life has been touched by the ministry they provide or bless them by sharing your favorite scripture. A small supply of note cards will be available each week by the box. Cards will be delivered to Brad, Char, Vicki, Nick and Ryan each week as they come in.
Please join the Council and your faith family for a quarterly business meeting on October 8 after the worship service. A short financial report will be given as well as an update to the refresh campaign.
Operation Christmas Child Toy Making
Demonstrate God’s love in a tangible way to children in need around the world through Operation Christmas Child. Come for an intergenerational time of making toys to put in our shoeboxes Wednesday, October 11, during our FaithKids ministry from 6:30-8pm. Please join us for fun, fellowship, and making shoebox gifts!
This small group study is designed to reveal how God has designed you, and help you see how that fits the intention for which you were created. Each session includes tools that help bring clarity to your future goals and show you how to have the most fulfilling life possible—a life lived for God’s purposes, by God’s design. This study meets for 5 Sundays starting October 15 at 9am.
Same Kind of Different as Me
Events happen, walls are torn down, lives are changed, and God’s love shines brighter yet. One such story is “Same Kind of Different as Me“. This story has been made into a movie, and we are excited to have access to an entire movie theater for a private showing for FCC! Mark the date and bring your family & friends! Tickets will be sold in the lobby October 1, 8, and 15 and are $5/family (regardless of the number of tickets you need). Showing is October 18, 7pm, at the Regal Cinema in Eagan. In the meantime, we recommend that you read the book before seeing the movie.
Capital Campaign Prayer Team
During this exciting journey of refreshing our building we are looking for those who have a heart for prayer. We have started a Prayer Force Team to pray for the capital campaign and remodel through the fall. If you are interested, please contact Sharon Auldrich at 952.890.674 or via email. She would love to get you connected into a group that fits your schedule.
Covenant Pines Fall MEA Retreat
116 Student Ministries group will attend Covenant Pines for their fall MEA retreat, scheduled October 18-20 for junior high students and October 20-22 for senior high students. Go to covenantpines.org/retreats to sign up today!
We are once again planning our Harvest Outreach, October 27, 5-8pm, for children of all ages. There will be carnival games, treats and a few concession options for dinner. There will be minimal costs for food, but the event itself is FREE! Invite your neighbors! We are asking you to donate bags of candy (peanut free please) and to volunteer. Contact Nick for more information. To drop off candy or sign up, stop at the Youth Desk in the lobby.